It's possible in Xara -- here's a quick html tutorial (280 KB)
. Path to Shape(or Making a "Symmetrical" Closed Path in XaraLX)
1. Draw a path ("shape" in XaraLX);
2. Duplicate path and mirror & move mirrored duplicate to position;
3. Join the two paths ("shapes");
4. Move nodes so that they automatically weld together (you have to experiment on this because, unlike Inkscape, you cannot drag your mouse in XaraLX and select two nodes and join them together);
5. Once the remaining two nodes are joined, the shape automatically fills up with the default black.
6. All that remains is to move nodes to your liking to get the shape you want and then you can change the fill (color) and add effects like contours ["inset/outset" in Inkscape] and transparency .